PlayStation 5 (PS5) is a home console developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. It launched on November 12th in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, North America, Singapore, and South Korea, and launched on November 19th in the rest of the world except China and India. The PlayStation 5 is expected to launch in Indonesia on January 22nd, 2021, while a release date for China hasn't been announced yet. Sony announced on New Year's Eve that the PS5 would launch in India on February 2, 2021. Models of the console come with the DualSense controller and Astro's Playroom pre-installed onto the console.
There are two models of the console available. The normal edition includes a disc drive on the right side of the front of the console, and the Digital Edition that has no disc drive on the front of the console. The PS5 uses discs in the normal format.
The PS5 uses a new user interface along with the first-time startup, which requires the user to connect the controller to the console using a USB, and then pressing the PS button to connect the controller. After that, the user completes the normal PlayStation console setup.
On April 16, 2019, In an interview with Wired, system architect Mark Cerny revealed that he has been working on a successor to PlayStation 4 for almost four years. The device is expected to be called PlayStation 5, following the past naming convention. The console has a few significant improvements over PlayStation 4: ray tracing support (based on custom variant of AMD Radeon's Navi family), an improved CPU (7nm octacore third generation AMD Ryzen chip based on Zen 2 microarchitecture), custom 3D audio chip, and an SSD instead of HDD. The console will be compatible with PlayStation VR headsets and be backward-compatible with games and controllers for the PlayStation 4,
- PS5 lacks All games Available for PS4 Games Available from the store with a subscription and you have to buy them digitally from the store or a PS4 disc to a PS5.
- Unable to Use Disc's of PS3, PS2, & PS1 Games. Some PS2 and PS3 games can be played on played with Playstation Now (PS Now) ex Dark Cloud 2 for the PS2 and Toy Home for the PS3.
- Some games' save file transfer between PS4 and PS5 must be in a same region on both played games and used accounts. If playing different games' regions in different accounts' regions respectively, save transfer will not work, as evident from Insomniac Games' Marvel's Spider-Men series.
- CPU - 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz with SMT (variable frequency)
- GPU - 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU Architecture - Custom RDNA 2
- Memory/Interface - 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
- Memory Bandwidth - 448GB/s
- Internal Storage - Custom 825GB SSD
- IO Throughput - 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
- Expandable Storage - NVMe SSD Slot
- External Storage - USB HDD Support
- Optical Drive - 4K UHD
The DualSense controller was unveiled on April 7 2020. It has a very similar design language to the DualShock 4 controller. The major improvements include voice coil actuators which deliver a haptic feedback and results in better gaming experience. Apart from this the analog triggers have a force feedback mechanism which provides different level of resistance to the player depending on in-game actions.
On Sony announced the DualSense controller in two space inspired colors, Midnight Black and Cosmic Red. The new controllers are available for pre-order on Amazon and will ship in mid-June.
PlayStation 5 Reveal
- Rubin, Peter (16 April 2019). Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation. Wired.
- DualSense Controller - Sony
- Sony announces two new colors for PS5 DualSense controller